Photobucket

08 January 2011

I'm not much for poetry, but...

This is most likely the only bit of poetry I'll ever write. 
My grandpa has final stage Alzheimer's and dementia. He was first diagnosed in 2007, and since then he has continued to worsen.


At the time I thought this poem was silly and stupid, but looking back, I rather like it.
I wrote this in 2008 for my mom, who was and still is, giving the gospel to her father.
It's written from her perspective, from a daughter to her parent.    



12-26-2008

I wish I could see inside your mind,
like a clock, the way gears turn and grind.

If for a moment I could see
the way you look at the world and me

Perhaps I'd understand what is taking your mind,
and then see how fast we're losing time.

Will the day ever come,
when you won't recognize me from anyone?*

But until that awful time arrives
I will use my gifts that God provides.

To show you why and how to live,
and that God's love and grace forgives.

Because I love you, yes I do,
I want to spend eternity together: God, me and you. 



*two years later, he doesn't recognize us. 

5 comments:

Beautiful, Ruthie! It's not easy realizing how quickly someone is slipping away without the Truth.

-Hannah

Aww, Ruthie...I liked this. I like writing poetry...it's a good way to express emotion.

Anyway, my grandpa had Alzheimer's too. He died a couple years ago, but up until the last, we were never sure if he really had Christ--and of course it's not like we could communicate with him or him with us. It's a tough place to be, for my mom to see her dad like that especially. So...I'll pray. :)

And...I'm beginning to think that our moms are way too creepily alike. =S

Very touching, Ruthie. I'm impressed with anyone who can write poetry... it's so much harder than you'd think. I'll be praying hard for you and your family, especially your mom. I know what that's like, with my grandpa and everything. <3

Praying for you Ruthie. My grandmother had Alzheimer's. It's difficult just caring for an individual with that disease and sometimes any communication is difficult. God's love is so much greater. I am so glad that He sees the heart.